Friday, September 9, 2011

Ask TJ: Neil Rogers loved Toronto, even in winter

by: Tom Jicha September 9th, 2011 | 6:54 AM

Q. I lived in Florida but moved to Michigan several years ago. I recently found out that Neil Rogers died. I was a regular listener while I lived in Florida. Anyway, I heard that he moved to Toronto. I live in Detroit, so I know how hard the winters are in Canada. I can understand moving to Toronto for the summers but the winters are really, really long. Did Neil really hate Florida that much? Also, what's the latest on his estate. Was Jorge (Rodriguez) left any money? I heard the station fired him in an effort to save money. Any help with these "ponderous" questions would be great. M.D., email

A. Neil, who is gone almost a year, used to say he hated Florida but a lot of what you heard on the air was just show business. He maintained a home in Broward right to the end and came south several times a year. I think it was more a case of Neil being able to be himself in Toronto. He really was a private person off the air. As for his will, it mentioned only about three people, none of whom would be familiar to the general public. Jorge Rodriguez was not included but I wouldn't read too much into that. Jorge, who indeed was fired by WQAM to save money, organized and staged a wonderful memorial service for Neil. One of the things that amused the hundreds of friends and fans who turned out was this was the kind of event Neil would have not had anything to do with.

http://goo.gl/56Qfk

No comments: